Saturday, December 29, 2007

Are You Obsessed With Your Job? Revisited.

I found this article on Yahoo a while back, just two days after I wrote about being obsessed with jobs and work. I told myself I would write my response to the article as it seemed to be a message written directly to me about my life and my work. Now the ironic part here is that I've been so busy and consumed with my work that I haven't had time to write anything until yesterday.

The article, written by Heather Boerner of Yahoo Jobs outlines the steps one can, and should take, to identify their work habits and manage them. After applying a few of the steps to my daily life I've found that I do, in fact, focus on work a bit too much and have a tendency to say "yes" more often than I should.

Since I first read the article I've started to apply some of the techniques mentioned to see how they affect my lifestyle. One of the biggest challenges I've found with this new work/stress management policy is convincing everyone around me, especially co-workers, that I've not lost my enthusiasm for the job but that I'm just trying to maintain my physical health and mental sanity. When I apply the techniques for maintaining a proper balance I notice I am more relaxed, I do not lose my temper as easily, I sleep better and I am more personable throughout the day. This is a me I like much more than the old.

The trick here is, as with everything in life, to find the proper balance. While I'm still no expert in this, I've become much better than I was just 6 months ago. Some days I might not be as involved as I should be, some days a bit too much but I am much more in control of my physical and emotional self and it is noticed by those around me.

The real and ultimate test will be my perceived success in the future. Will I feel that much different? Will I ultimately accomplish more in my lifetime with the proper balance? Will I feel as if I didn't accomplish as much? Only time will tell I guess. To make sure I'm honest, I fully plan to revisit this topic every so often to share the updates on my pursuit of balance.

- Mitch G

1 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Balance? You? Never.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home