Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Are You Obsessed With Your Job?

Yes, yes I am. I'm a workaholic. But not like the article makes me out to be.

I don't consider myself a clinical case but I am aware that I work much more than the average American; I also have a hard time turning off the work mode, even after I've left the office for the day. The article I found, once again on my beloved CNN.com, talks about the signs of workaholism and some of the notable downsides to being a workaholic.

I can't say that I see any notable downsides to loving the work you do and being good at it. Maybe this is my denial of the disease? The most important skill necessary to succeed as a workaholic is to be productive with your over-time. This is contrary to the article's statement: "
having an office full of workaholics is like having a yard full of moles,... they start tunneling, but not in the same or best direction." I've found that this is only applicable if you have poor management who is neither willing nor capable of keeping the employees on task as they push past that 40 hour per week mark. It can also be the result of improper company procedures and guidelines--not an active management duty.

If each worker knows how to effectively utilize their time while they are working, more work will get done. The issues arise when individuals do not know when, or how, to turn off the work-mode. There is a definite burn-out point for everyone, and only that individual knows exactly where that point is. As long as you are not reaching that burn-out point, and you are not adversely affecting your family and friends I don't feel there is a negative to clocking in the hours.

Your mindset regarding the relationship between work and personal life will ultimately determine the positive or negative effects. If you manage effectively, and you are truly content with the work then working hard and frequently doesn't have to be negative. If you feel as if the world will stop spinning should you take a break, or your personal life is falling apart, then you do have a serious problem.

I enjoy my work, I look forward to the challenge and regularly feel that there isn't enough time in the day. However, I know that personal time is important and when I feel myself becoming stressed I will step away and take that necessary personal time. The balance is the important issue here, not how many calculated hours you work, but how much of your life is affected by your working.

I will always work hard to maintain a healthy balance and work hard for the sake of working.

- Mitch G



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home