Wednesday, July 12, 2006

eBay Buyers At Their Worst

Over the last 5 years and 4 months I have been an eBay buyer and seller. I have been though almost all of the major changes ebay has seen and the most prominent I've noticed is the increase in members who have no common courtesy, morals or literary skills what-so-ever.

It seems as if no one who bids on items anymore reads the entire auction/listing page, they just see the item, look at the pictures and bid like wild monkeys to win. Take for instance this Bluetooth control box I sold a couple weeks back on eBay. The item worked fine when I sold it, the buyer bought it with "buy it now" and didn't pay insurance to have it shipped. Two weeks goes by and no problems at all until I get an email two days ago saying in broken English-text that the item is broken and does not work and they want a refund. The problem for them is that on my auction page my sellers policy and terms clearly states they have 7 days to return defective items for a refund and no refund is given without insurance on shipping. This buyer violated both terms and still wanted a refund!

I knew this next part was coming when I read that first email and gave them my kindly worded "no" and explanation as a response. The next day they filed a claim with paypal saying the item was "not as described" and they wanted their money back. Paypal then puts a hold on my money while they investigate. To make along story shorter I know I will win the investigation because the buyer didn't read the entire listing before bidding and didn't follow procedure accordingly but now my money is tied up for a good 30 days while I sit and twiddle my thumbs.

When did our world become so distrustful and irresponsible for our own mistakes and actions? This has happened repeatedly with eBay not just to me but to many of my friends who also use the service as a tool for interstate trade and commerce. Something should be done to weed out the individuals who clutter our economic and social system with their stupidity and ignorance. Wow, eBay can really make you heated it is sad that I hardly use it anymore and dead using it when I have to.

- Mitch

1 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Jin's Blog said...

It's only getting worse my friend. What sucks most about eBay to me, is that you can no longer get "good deals". It's "merchants" with no product knowledge, selling refurbished stuff.

For example, if I'm looking for a printer, often times I'd have to pay $5 less than MSRP for a brand new item on eBay (and then make up that $5 difference on shipping), or risk getting a broken, open boxed, no cords, no manual, scratched, "refurb" for dirt cheap. What happened to the garage sale sellers?!

For peace of mind, I just go to Office Depot or Costco now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home